Resources for Non-Binary/Inclusive Language in the Romance Languages and Social Justice
The DEI Committee of Department of Romance and Classical Studies has compiled a list of resources for inclusive language in the romance languages, as well as social justice resources. Please see the links in the sections below for complete details.
Inclusive Language Resources
Resources for DEI and Social Justice
Created during the BTAA Coordinators Meeting 2020
- ACTFL: [https://www.actfl.org/resources/resources-language-educators-address-issues-race-diversity-and-social-justice]
- Center for Intercultural Learning, Mentorship, Assessment and Research at Purdue: [https://www.purdue.edu/IPPU/CILMAR/]
- Drake Institute on inclusive teaching: [https://drakeinstitute.osu.edu/instructor-support/inclusive-teaching]
- IALLT and FLTMAG: [https://fltmag.com/]
- Additional Resources Compiled By Mandy Menke, LPD UMN Span & Port: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/14nXP5Ep8ywRh9en7CVKAGIZenEHHwdqmL-AZ2y0Wlgk/edit?]usp=sharing
- Live Another Day: Extensive information on mental health and substance use resources for people of color. Their mission is equal access to life-saving resources. They have guides for black, Latinx, Asian, and native people.
- Detox Local: An extensive list of mental health and substance use resources specifically for the AAPI (American Asian and Pacific Islander) community.
- Teaching the whole student (2017) by David Schoem, Christine Modey and Edward P. St. John
- Words and Actions: Teaching Languages Through the Lens of Social Justice (2020) by Cassandra Glynn, Pamela Wesely, and Beth Wassell
- Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most (2010) by Douglas Stone, Bruce Patton, Sheila Heen, and Roger Fisher
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts (2018) by Brené Brown.
- Counter-narratives as Resistance: Social Justice in the World Language Classroom, Stephanie Madison, and L. J. Randolph Jr.: [https://fltmag.com/oct2020-webinar-counter-narratives-as-resistance/]
- Anti-Racism in World Language Classes, Dr. Krishauna Hines-Gaither: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGS-1X7IOAc&feature=youtu.be]
- Intercultural Learning in World Language Education: Fall 2020 Webinar Series: [https://cllc.osu.edu/news/intercultural-learning-world-language-education-fall-2020-webinar-series]
- Intergroup Dialogues: [https://igr.umich.edu/about]
Guidelines for Discussing Difficult or High-Stakes Topics: [https://crlt.umich.edu/publinks/generalguidelines]
Example of guidelines or ‘constitution’ for class (in French): [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wsD0k4qefgr_9Wwb8bVmQrPqh0BH1eL4_CSfOqMtxbI/edit?usp=sharing]