Undergraduate Adviser For RCS Majors & Minors

Jennifer Gansler
B-341 Wells Hall
To make an advising appointment, visit MSU’s SIS to log in then “Academic Progress” and “Advising Appointments”.

Language Coordination Levels 100-200

French – Matt Kanefsky
B-480 Wells Hall

Spanish – Francisco Morales
B-480 Wells Hall

Italian – Carmen DeLorenzo
B-480 Wells Hall

Portuguese – Saulo Gouveia
B-458 Wells Hall

Frequently Asked Questions

A. 100/200 level courses:

It is department policy NOT to provide overrides for 100/200 level courses. Space tends to open in these course as students make adjustments to their schedules so make sure to have the course on your planned schedule with an alert so you can enroll if space becomes available. If you have any question please contact the appropriate language coordinator.

A. 300/400 level courses:

It is departmental policy not to grant overrides for these courses until the drop/add period is over at the beginning of each semester. Keep an eye on the enrollment. Put an alert on the course and add the course if someone drops it. If you are unable to add the course before the semester begins, attend the section that you would prefer to enroll in, do the work, and speak with the instructor.  Only the course instructor can provide the authorization for the override.

A. To make an advising appointment, visit MSU’s SIS to log in then “Academic Progress” and “Advising Appointments”.Walk-in advising hours are held most Fridays throughout Fall and Spring Semesters. Hours are posted weekly.

A. Please contact the undergraduate adviserTeaching minors must go through the College of Education.

A. Yes, if you have a double major and chemistry is one of the majors, you can use it for both ISP and ISB requirements as well as the cognate requirement. Other possibilities for a cognate accepted by CLA can be a combination of math and physics (as one cognate since they’re closely related, by taking two of each), since it is standard for double majors to use one of their majors as a cognate, as long as they’re able to demonstrate a thematic or disciplinary link with the French major.

A. CAL honors approved “alternate track” science courses like PHY and BS if they were taken when the student was a major in the college approved for an alternate track. So you can use the PHY course for ISP if you used to be in Natural Science or Engineering–but if you are now in CAL, you must complete the remainder of your science Requirement with regular ISB or whatever is lacking.

A. Once you have matriculated at MSU, ONLY regular IAH classes can be used to meet the requirement. Students who took IAH-like courses BEFORE coming to MSU are allowed to use approved transfer options to satisfy some of the IAH requirement.

A. If you are doing two majors within the College of Arts and Letters, each major can serve as a cognate for the other major. For example, a French major doing an additional major or degree in English can use English for a cognate with French and advanced French for a cognate with English. However, the student must also have a cognate outside our college; one outside cognate (such as journalism or psychology) can function as the outside cognate for both majors.



Students doing a minor–such as philosophy–can use the minor to replace one cognate (but again must have an outside cognate as well). Students admitted to the teacher certification program are not required to do cognates; instead, they do an approved teaching minor plus required teacher certification courses.

A. According to university policy, “A person may be permitted to enroll in credit courses as a visitor on a non-credit basis. Credit may not be earned in courses taken as a visitor except by re-enrollment for credit in the course and completion of the course with a satisfactory grade. To be enrolled as a visitor, a student must enroll in the same manner as for credit courses and pay the same tuition and fees as for a credit registration.

“Choice of enrollment in a credit course as a visitor on a non-credit basis must be made by the fifth day of the term of instruction and may not be subsequently changed. Arrange visitor enrollment in the Registrar’s Office in 150 Administration Building or by calling the office at 3-4678. 

“Students enrolled as visitors are expected to attend classes regularly. Those so enrolled who do not attend regularly may be dropped from the classes at the request of the instructor.” – see website for more information.

Connect With Us

  • Opens in a new tab
  • Opens in a new tab