Requirements for Completion of the Minor in Italian:
The minor is available as an elective to students who are enrolled in bachelor’s degree programs at Michigan State University. With the approval of the department and college that administers the student’s degree program, the courses that are used to satisfy the minor may also be used to satisfy the requirements for the bachelor’s degree.
Students who plan to complete the requirements for the minor should consult an undergraduate advisor in Italian.
- All of the following courses (17 credits):
- ITL 201 – Second-Year Italian I
- ITL 202 – Second-Year Italian II
- ITL 320 – Advanced Grammar and Composition
- ITL 330 – Italian Culture and Civilization
- ITL 350 – Introduction to Italian Literature
- One of the following courses (3/4 credits):
- IAH 209* – Art, the Visual, & Culture
- IAH 221B* – Great Ages: The Modern World
- ITL 355 – Italian Literature in English Translation
- ITL 360 – Topics in Italian Language and Culture
- ROM 355* – French, Italian, and Spanish Cinema since 1930
*Participation on the RCS-sponsored Italian Language, Literature and Culture summer study abroad program in Florence, Italy is highly recommended for completion of the minor. The IAH courses listed here are offered only as part of the summer program in Florence. Students must obtain approval from the Department of Romance and Classical Studies prior to enrollment in IAH or ROM 355.