Graduate Admissions

RCS offers three graduate programs in Spanish: the PhD in Hispanic Cultural Studies, the MA in Hispanic Literatures and the MA in Spanish as a Second or Bilingual Language.

Please contact if you have any questions.

Funding for Graduate Students of Spanish

Graduate students in the Department of Romance and Classical Studies may apply for graduate assistantships to help fund their studies and gain experience both in and out of the classroom. All graduate assistants receive:

  • A bi-weekly salary,
  • Nine hours/semester of tuition remission during the academic year, and
  • Five hours tuition remission in summer, as well as
  • Health and dental insurance.

The number of assistantships is limited and based on departmental needs and Graduate School allotments. If a student is not awarded an assistantship, we will help them look for other funding resources.

All of our PhD students are guaranteed four years of funding, which may be extended for those who remain in good standing.

Graduate assistantships vary and may be assigned to a student based on experience and progress in their respective program. Currently RCS offers several different types of assistantships for graduate students:

  • The most common is a teaching assistantship, in which students teach basic-level language courses under the supervision of a language coordinator. More advanced students may teach at the third-year level.
  • An academic advising GAship gives first-hand experience working with undergraduate students in coordination with the department’s academic advisor.
  •  A social media /communications graduate assistant helps maintain the department’s Web site and social media presence. They may also write news stories and other items for social media platforms.
  • Research assistantships are also available and are funded by the faculty member the student would work with.
  • Spanish graduate students may also serve as the Spanish Writing Center Graduate Assistant.
  • RCS also houses the Revista de Estudios de Género y Sexualidades, which hires an editorial graduate assistant annually.

Additional Resources

Please see the College of Arts and Letters website for further funding resources.

The Graduate School offers other funding opportunities, please click here.

Also, visit the Office of Financial Aid.

Connect With Us

  • Opens in a new tab
  • Opens in a new tab